Sunday, July 15, 2018

Classroom Management Part 2: Reward System

Hello again!
Today we continue to talk about Classroom Management, but this time we will focus on the reward system. What ways have you used before to reward your students in school?

In the past years I have used conduct calendars to go along with popsicles, treasure box, and even collecting "money." Truth to be told, I was never able to keep up with some of them! There was always so much to do in the classroom, which lead to say "tomorrow will do the shopping day" more often every school year period.

I really loved buying the cute stuff at Oriental Trading and at Target for my kiddos, but honestly, there were so many things that I thought they were so cool and they did not care much about them! Of course, the happy meal prices were always a hit, but there was so much happy meals I could eat in order to keep up!

This year I would really like to change it up and challenge myself on doing different things! I want a system that 1. I can keep up throughout the school year and 2. something that is not gonna break my bank account! and most importantly 3. Something that my kids are motivated to keep working hard!

REWARD COUPONS

The first thing I am planning on using are the classroom reward coupons.
These are fulfilling my three requirements from above!
1.something I could keep up
2.No cost and
3.Something my kids will enjoy working for.
It is important to point out that these will only be the ones I will be using for the first half of the school year. I am working on the other half with a list of different rewards. In addition, I want to interview my kids throughout the first half of the school year and find out what they like about the reward couopns and what other coupons they would like to see!


The coupons are perfect if you want to use a bead container or something similar to that. I got mine at Hobby Lobby because I wanted to use my coupon. However, you can find these at Walmart or any other craft store :)
The coupons are available in English and Spanish, as usual. They come in color and black/white version to save some ink!



How would I use them in my classroom?
I used a behavior calendar at a previous district and I found it to work great in order to inform my parents about their kids. We have a calendar for every 6 weeks and a list of marks students might have. They get a sticker daily if their behavior has been great, but if they have misbehave in class, they get a number (they get chances before they get a number on their calendar).
I am planning to use these coupons after the student has gotten 15 consecutive stickers.at a previous district I was replacing these coupons instead of getting them a popsicle (I used to do this in my previous years.) The student will be able to pick a reward coupon to use at any time. They need to write their name on the back of the coupon in order to be able to "cash it out" whenever they are ready.

I would need to make a clear point that if they loose their coupon or they never wrote their name on it, then I am not responsible to replace that coupon. This is the part when I have a change to teach them about being on second grade and being responsible with our things. I am not planning on trying to keep up with whom gets what coupon and how many times the student picked the same coupon. I know I will have a million more things to worry and focus. Students will be entitled to choose whatever coupon they would like and be free to use it at any time!

Students keep these calendar on their binder. I provide the binder as a beggining of the school gift from me to them. If you would like to know more about this binder, please click HERE.

The alternative use from the Behavior Calendar:
If the calendar behavior is not an option for you, then you might want to see this alternative option. I added a punch card into to the reward coupons product. After 20 hole punches, the student gets to pick a reward card. On my example above, my students have to have 15 consecutive stickers. On this punch card, students can collect the hole punches no matter how many days pass by or maybe you have your own rules, so go for it! These are only suggestions :) Remember, YOU DO YOU!

I hope these tips have been helpful to you! I realized my link has been broken for several months now, so I am sorry if you tried to refer to this previously and it didn't work!

As always, I am only a message away, FOLLOW me on IG @brincaintobilingual 


No comments:

Post a Comment